This week, son Chris is visiting from the UK. Unlike his father, Chris is a handsome devil, as you can see from the accompanying photo of the two of us at the Wellington Business Gold Awards dinner, where Magritek was a finalist in the Export Gold category.
Chris has been checking up on my daily routine, even trying some of the famous veggie mix (well, a teaspoonful), and accompanying me on my walk up to the reservoir. As you can see from the next photo, the weather here has been miserable this week. Chris flew in from London on Monday and leaves Sunday to return to James and Hiva who have very kindly done without him for a week. It's been a chance for the two of us to catch up, and for Chris to get some R and R from his busy life as a surgeon.

For Chris it's also been a chance to catch up with old friends, to visit his Mum and his Aunties, and to help me and Miang at home. The week has been quite a "Magritek week" with cakes at the company Tuesday, with the Gold Awards last night, and with a shareholders annual meeting this morning, which Chris attended as an observer. He has had the chance to renew acquaintance with some of my young friends, such as Mark Hunter (pictured here with Chris and me). Mark went to the same school as Chris (Palmerston North Boys High) and was a first year pupil when Chris was one of the seniors. If Mark is looking happy, that is in part because he submitted his PhD thesis on Monday! Mark, like Chris, is a Dad of a lovely 2+ year old, and is expecting another child in the spring.
Needless to say I am immensely proud of my son who seems far too wise to be my offspring. In addition to giving me excellent medical advice, keeping us well entertained, and generally being kind beyond anything I deserve, he is a just great company to have around and his visit here has been hugely cheering for both Miang and me.

And, Chris looks so much "sharper" than you did when you were his age, Paul. E.g., the amazing picture of you and Ken Jolley in the lab!
ReplyDeleteMany congratulations to the Magritek team, and special ones for Mark Hunter!
Fantastic! You guys look like you've had a brilliant time! I'm so pleased you and Chris were able to have some special time together. And of course I'm looking forward to having him back in London soon.
ReplyDeleteCatherine xx
Hi Paul, I drop by your blog quite often, and I'm thrilled to hear of the really positive response to the chemo (and to the famed potato juice, of course), and wanted to pass on my best wishes. I also read something recently that I thought I must pass on to you - Maurice Gee's Blindsight, which has a very interesting narrator, an elderly female mycologist (!!) who has a couple of fascinating things to say about fungi, and who also writes this: "Good science... brought the imagination into agreement with reality - a long journey most of the time, and one that both refined and intoxicated." I found that very pleasing, and thought you might, too.
ReplyDeletebest wishes!
Elizabeth Gray
Lovely thought Liz! Thanks so much.
ReplyDelete