Friday, May 14, 2010

Latest medical data

I've been holding out on you. For the last couple of weeks I've noticed less pain from my upper abdominal tumour (the one I showed in the PET scan). Then, pressing in that area, I noticed that the lump was reducing. On Tuesday I had my second Avastin infusion in Palmerston North. My PN oncologist, Richard Isaacs, was amazed. "The lump has gone", he said. "Yes", I replied. "I've been noticing, but didn't want to hope too much." "This is an excellent response to the Avastin", he declared.

All very good, but what would my latest CEA result show? Well I've also been holding out on publishing this data. My last reading three weeks ago showed the lowest rise in nearly a year. Today I got my latest CEA. It has almost halved, from 77 ng/ml to 45 ng/ml.







Today was Wellington Hospital infusion day, and my appointment with my local public system oncologist, Andy Simpson. Now it was his turn to be surprised and pleased. He didn't say so, but I'll bet he thinks it's the irinotecan/capecitabine he is giving me.

Of course only Miang and I know the real truth, which you can ascertain for yourselves by inspecting the graphs. The rising CEA was checked before chemo started. It is clearly Uncle CC's magic potato mix, which I have consumed every morning since day 430, or perhaps it is Lourdes's Noni juice, or Yang's TaiChi, or maybe the 9 hours sleep a night, or perhaps it is just better Paul taking charge?

Hey, whatever. I ain't complaining.

PS: Don't get too excited. I'm not cured. Just having a respite.

PPS: The two graphs are respectively linear and semi-log, for the afficionados.

11 comments:

  1. I am excited. No way not to be. Even if it does not mean you are cured. I keep hoping the best....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petrik. Keep those positive thoughts flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Taiji worked! I like the linear plot, which shows a larger drop in CEA. Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. When I read the email, I hurried to check out the web posting. At first, seeing the chart, I was a little disappointed because it didn't look so good. Then I saw the last datapoint. It was so far down it almost disappeared from sight!

    Personally, I think it's the potato mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it is premature to be relieved, but I'm going to allow myself to be just that for a few days.

    I'm not going to hazard a guess as to why, but I think you know my stance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do know your stance Ed and I suspect you are right. Miang and I will ensure that each oncologist believes it is "his treatment". But clearly I need to find a lifelong treatment which I can use after chemo is over. Hell, maybe it was the Reiki. My goodness Carol. What if it was my Florida psychic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best news for a long time! Nothing in this world is permanent, but anything that gives hope for an extra time in good condition must be good. Keep using all the possible, or even just plausible, agents of change - who cares which one it is! Love from both of us, Milo and Irina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks Milo and Irina. I agree, who cares, keep 'em all going I say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have loved reading all the possibilities but given that it plateaued prior to the commencement of the chemo, the brecky juice is looking good!! Did it plateau at the same time as the blog started?! Perhaps it has something to do with all the positive thoughts and vibes flowing out across the world to you Paul. We'll keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started the blog around Easter when I had just had a big increase in CEA, from 59.2 to 76.2. So the plateau came three weeks later. Maybe you are right. Keep those positive thoughts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great results!
    Your friends in Sweden are cheering you on.
    Magnus

    ReplyDelete