
On Tuesday I had my first Avastin infusion in Palmerston North. It's a protein, a monoclonal antibody, and so no obvious side effects. It acts to inhibit the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) so as to limit a tumour's ability to get blood supply. If I am lucky, it will improve my odds. It was a nice occasion and some PN friends turned up to join the "chemo party". The pic shows Warren Davis, Su Hendeles and Natalie Hope joining in the fun.
Then today, I had my Irinotecan infusion at Wellington hospital. This is a standard chemotherapy drug, a small molecule organic, which attacks the fast dividing cells. Hence, there will be plenty of side effects, most obvious being hair loss. But I came though OK and will now be relaxing at home for the weekend, and also beginning the daily use of the oral pro-drug, Capecitabine, my old friend from adjuvant chemotherapy in 2009.
I had some bad news too. Turns out my KRAS gene is mutant, not wildtype. That rules out a second line chemotherapy with monoclonal antibody Cetuximab. 60% of people are wildtype, 40% are mutant. My bad luck. Still, it wasn't all bad news. My CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) level rise for the last fortnight was one the smallest in 6 months! I'll take good cheer where I can!
An odd postcript to the media story about the cancer was this. My public health system oncologist was really pleased with it, and said it was really helpful to them in keeping pressure on for new drug approvals by Pharmac. So maybe I was embarrassed but the greater good was served!

Paul, only you could have a chemo party where everyone has a wonderful time. I'm jealous that we're too far away to attend these events.
ReplyDeleteAnd how interesting it is that your oncologist cheered your news story. I too felt that it was not a bad story but just a comment on an issue all people and countries are now struggling with. But it's touching that you were so concerned. Your caring sets an example for us.