The new Wellington Hospital has a brand new Blood and Cancer Centre. In my three week chemo cycle I have two Irinotecan infusions on two successive Fridays in that Centre. This picture is me today*. Notice the difference from Palmerston North. Here we have a pump-driven system rather than gravity feed, and most interestingly, infusion through the hand rather than the forearm. The bag on top of my arm is warmed and is provided for comfort.My oncology nurse Allie explained to me today the reason for the hand infusion protocol. First, though more uncomfortable than the vein in the arm, it gives a better warning of problems, for example leakage. But most importantly it is more distal than the arm position, so that if there is damage to veins they have options for moving up the arm for later infusion. A mystery is solved.
Actually the Irinotecan infusion in the hand is not nearly as unpleasant as the Oxaliplatin I had last year. The latter really causes a quite sore hand and arm.
I had a surprise today when I walked into the infusion suite. I met a younger friend of mine, all hooked up on a chemotherapy line. I had no idea he had cancer. It was his second cycle, and I chatted with him and offered some encouragement. I felt like an old trooper. All the oncology staff know me now as an "old-timer".
Finally, as I sat down and got connected, with Miang sitting beside me giving her wonderful support as always, I looked around me at all the other patients. I must have been one of the oldest ones there.
*Footnote. The date on the Blog is always US time. Ah well, it's a Google world.

No comments:
Post a Comment