


Paul, Catherine, Miang and Glenda Lewis at Otari-Wilton, Paul and Miang on Mt KauKau, and Paul and Catherine on Oriental Parade.
These last two weeks, daughter Catherine has been visiting from London. She has been a huge help to Miang and me in managing some of the recent medical consultation process, as well as bringing a great deal of cheer to us both.
This has been an important time, with a new CT scan confirming metastatic disease, with multiple tumours in my peritoneal cavity. I am having some occasional pain and discomfort but nothing that prevents me from regular exercise and going to work. I am about to start a new course of chemotherapy on 20th April, comprising infusions of Bevacizumab (Avastin) and Irinotecan, along with an oral pro-drug, Capecitabine (Xeloda). Each cycle lasts 3 weeks and the entire course will last 6 months.
Miang and I are in good spirits. I am continuing to work, mostly on writing, but also interacting with my research team at Victoria University of Wellington.

It has been great to spend the past two weeks with Dad and Miang, and to see what's happening 'on the ground'. They are both being very strong and optimistic, although we've had some tough times too. This is not an easy emotional journey for either of them but I'm very proud of how they are doing.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will all find this blog useful to keep up to date with Dad's progress.
Catherine
To Catherine: It's not surprising that Paul and Miang are being strong. I'll never forget Miang hiking the Routeburn almost completely swallowed up by her green poncho so that only her eyes showed -- she looked like Yoda. A natural leader. I also remember Paul on his hands and knees on a narrow passage, which was the first I knew he had acrophobia -- yet he kept hiking those high mountains!
ReplyDeleteTo Paul: May your feet be like hinds' feet on high places (Habakkuk 3:19) and may you keep exploring those high places. Good vibes for April 20th.
To Miang: May the Force be with you.
- Carol