
Bradley Douglass, my 24th PhD student, successfully defended his thesis yesterday. Here he is with his New Zealand examiners, Joe Trodahl and Grant Williams, and then with lab colleagues, Petrik Galvosas and Mark Hunter. His overseas external examiner was Professor Claudia Schmidt of Paderborn University in Germany.
I was present at the examination remotely by videoconference from my home in Cambridge via the KAREN network. We completed the examination at 12-30 am my time.
Brad's research work was on Rheo-NMR of polymers and wormlike micelles and involved some extremely difficult experimental challenges. Most remarkably he has seen extensional flow ordering

and been able to get an estimate of the relative sizes of shear and extensional viscosities entirely by NMR methods. Brad is now working in our lab as a postdoctoral fellow, where his considerable knowledge is of huge help to us all.
Brad is my final PhD student, I think. At least, I haven't recruited anyone else for a while yet. Who knows? I might decide to change my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment