Monday, October 11, 2010

The view from Cape Evans

I first went to the Antarctic in 1994. Since then I have returned five more times, on every occasion to a field camp near Cape Evans, the site of Robert Falcon Scott's Terra Nova expedition hut. One of the most remarkable men on that 1911-1913 expedition was Edward Wilson, the physician and watercolour artist. Apsley Cherry-Garrard, the author of "The Worst Journey in the World", made the winter traverse behind Ross Island to Cape Crozier and back, along with Wilson and "Birdie" Bowers. Cherry-Garrard describes Wilson as being so good a man as to be almost saintly. Wilson died in March 1912, along with Scott and Bowers on their return journey from the pole, their other companions, Oates and Evans, having perished before them. The painting is a water colour by Edward Wilson, of the view from the ramp behind Cape Evans, looking out across McMurdo Sound with the Barne Glacier in the background. In November 2006 I stood, along with Miang, at exactly this place.

This painting is one of the images I will carry in my mind over the next few weeks. From tomorrow I will be out of contact for a while. To all my friends and family who have sent wonderful messages of support, I give my heartfelt thanks. I am in good physical and mental condition to embark on this new journey.

5 comments:

  1. Paul, our minds are with you together in this journey!
    Love, Yang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    We wish you all the best, no words can express how much we all support you and think of the success of your journey

    love from all of us
    Toly, Galina and Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Paul,

    my wife and I are praying for you. May the "Sydney option" help you to overcome the fiendish disease that killed my mum.

    Niko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Paul, I am sending you my deepest love and every once of strength to you that you will overcome this next hurdle. All of our love to you Paul and ofcourse to beautiful Miang. We love you so much. Always in our thoughts and prayers...love Becci and Igor xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Paul,

    I didn't read for a few days, and it seems a lot happened!

    Heidi and I send our very best wishes for everything in Sydney. Hopefully the "Sydney option" turns into an "Aussie miracle" for one of my favorite Kiwis. We'll be waiting on news of the surgery (probably under way as I write!) and more details from you once you've regained your strength.

    Very best wishes to both you and Miang,

    Ross and Heidi

    ReplyDelete