I must apologise for my silence for the last 6 days. Despite the cheerful smiles of my earlier postings, I have still had some recovering to do, and I must admit to feeling very tired through much of this period. In fact, my recovery has been remarkable, so much so that I am to be discharged from St George Hospital tomorrow, some 6 days earlier than their average period of hospital stay following my type of surgery, and only 3 days longer than their record. All my external plumbing has been removed, and my wound staples were removed this morning. I can take short walks unassisted.During the last 5 days my London-based daughter Catherine has been here to check up on me, along with my sister Jeanine from Tauranga, New Zealand. And of course, my younger sister Mary, who lives in Melbourne, was here with her husband Tom, over the initial period of the operation and its aftermath.
I have a long way to go before a full recovery from surgery. On leaving hospital I will join Miang in Bezzina House, a residence on the hospital campus, and then we will go to stay with Miang's Uncle Andy on the North Beaches, before returning to New Zealand. If all goes well, I will be back in Wellington sometime in early November.
I have had so many good wishes from friends and family. I have a tale to tell about this experience, but it may take a greater period of time off opiate-derivative drugs, and a little more personal energy, before I can tell it.

Batman well and truly won this round!!
ReplyDeleteTime for him to gently recuperate. He may even go into retirement as his enemies have largely been destroyed. Loving wishes and very special thoughts always.
You are our Hero, Paul
ReplyDeleteThe Wallabies could use a substitute Paul, but we understand your allegiance to the All Blacks!
ReplyDeletePaul, Keep up the good work - and relax and recuperate!! (As hard as that may be for some of us!) Thanks for the beautiful shot of Sydney Harbor, also.
ReplyDelete