Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Taiji lessons

For the past few months Miang and I have been attending Taiji (Tai Chi) classes at the local community centre, under Master Ray Poy. We have been learning the long form, with 38 different moves. Taiji is a sort of slowed down martial art, first introduced to me by Yang Xia, who encouraged me again to learn a bit more about this art when he visited me in April. I am a poor exponent, as you will see from this video which Miang took at home, as I go through about half the moves of the long form.


6 comments:

  1. Very very nice Paul! When your energy permits, do a few set each day. Whether you did the 'standard moves' or not does not matter - There are many styles in Taiji, which are the slow versions of the martial art. So each move is either to attack your 'enemy' or protect yourself. Think what you would do the most powerful way in attacking or protecting - you can then slowly perfect your moves. Eventually, you do not think about the next moves and you can synchronize your breath with each move.

    p.s. Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're good, Paul, and it--the music only(!)--reminds me of Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for your encouragement dear friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly wonderful Paul. I really look forward to you teaching me some moves and the meaning behind them when I vist next week.
    It looks magnificently calming and meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Caine: No.
    Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
    Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the video Paul. It looks so relaxing. Absolutely fantastic. Keep it up. Love u xoxo

    ReplyDelete