I am out. Finally. In truth I haven't really been that ill, though it took 3 days to get my temperature down, following which it showed an odd diurnal variation, rising to just above 38C late each day. I was taken off IV antibiotic Saturday and hoped to be allowed home that day to celebrate Miang's birthday. I was given "leave" to go out for a few hours and so Miang and I were able to take up my booking at Hippotamus restaurant, and to take dessert in Kaffee Eis. But after the meal I had to be delivered back to my hospital bed.The problem has been that my neutrophil count has been too low for me to be safely allowed to leave. Each day, my blood test revealed a slow increase, but in the end, we went for the "nuclear option", injections of G-CSF (granulocyte colony stimulating factor). In 24 hours my white blood cell count and neutrophil count rose so much I was now above normal levels. It's enough to make you believe in biochemistry.
I spent six days in Ward 5 North. Readers will know that I am someone who finds hospital at least interesting, if not desirable. The worst aspect of my experience this time has been witnessing the terrible distress of some of my fellow patients. My room had two beds with a dividing curtain, and I shared it with three different room companions over my time. The last was a young man whose vicious, relentless, lung-hacking cough made me think of World War I soldiers stricken with mustard gas. It was truly terrible to listen to, but worse, to contemplate the suffering that accompanied it. In the end, I was desperate to escape, and I felt ashamed of that, and only full of admiration for the kindness and care given to this man, and his agonized parents, by the nurses and consultants.
PS: The picture shows me having a tub of Hazelnut ice cream at Kaffee Eis. I think the truth is finally out regarding my hair, or the little that remains. It is Einsteinian in its wildness. Something must be done!

Paul,
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are finally well enough to write another entry in your blog!!!!!
The Agnew Family
Thats ok about ur hair Paul, I look forward to seeing u use ur hanky hats :) Although I must admit I rather wish u still had ur hair instead of a use for them :) Love u heaps and so happy u are finally out of hospital.
ReplyDeleteYou're just as lovely without your hair as you are with it! xoxo
Oh I would have to say you look like Doc from back to the future :) Love u.
ReplyDeleteYay! Now grow it way long and get a frizzy perm!
ReplyDelete. . . .Richard
Cut it off I say!
ReplyDelete