
For all my superhero bravado, the bowel won in the end. The diarrhea just got worse, despite the loperamide and the fluids. I saw my oncologist at the hospital yesterday. He sent me for an x-ray and, sure enough, I had severe colitis. Now I am armed with some new drugs, one to counteract the bowel cramp pains, an antibiotic course, and codeine to help "bind" me. This reversal of fortune challenged me to find the right superhero graphic in which Batman is now on the receiving end, and in the appropriate place. I am quite proud of my achievement in this regard.
The week started with some adventure. I was invited by Palmerston North Boys' High School (the old school of my son, Chris) to address their Monday morning assembly for 20 minutes. The Hall was packed to the rafters with 1700 boys along with their teachers. I have to say, I did apparently entertain them and they gave me a great ovation at the end. I understand the culture of the "all boys school", having emerged relatively unscathed from one many years ago.
Tuesday was Avastin infusion day, Thursday my blood test, and then Friday, the long and helpful consultation with the oncology registrar at Wellington Hospital. My CEA result was not exactly what I had hoped for, not a halving from 23 to 11, but a 2/3 reduction to 16.5. So I am now off the exponen
tial decay of the first two cycles. It may be that my colitis has caused an artificially high reading this time. It can do that. Or it may mean I am starting to "asymptote" to a plateau.An important outcome of this week's experience, which is at the same cycle point as my hospitalisation in June, is another week's delay in my starting irinotecan/capecitabine. This last week has been my drug-free week (ignoring the benign Avastin), all these bowel problems being aftermath effects. I think from now on a two week recovery period rather than the usual one week drug free, will be my norm.
.jpg)
So, it's been a hell of week. And I had to pull out of "Waiting for Godot" on Thursday night! But the biggest complication is that my bowel status may prevent Miang and me flying to Sydney tomorrow. I have two days of medical consultations lined up at St George's Hospital. More on that little mystery later perhaps. As for the flight go/no-go, it's decision time this evening.
PS: 7-30 pm Saturday. Decision made. We go.

Don't give in, Paul. Hope flight to Sidney works out, but if not, reschedule! I'd love to see your talk notes for boys school in Palmerston North!
ReplyDelete