On Tuesda
y last week, Miang and I made a special journey to Oxford. My first experience of this place was as a new graduate student in 1970 as shown in the matriculation picture attached. The latest photo shows that I have aged somewhat.The primary reason for my visit was to call on Oxford University Press, who had, for some inexplicable reason, failed to meet the June publication date for my book. But it was also a chance to catch up with Oxford friends Milo and Irina Shott, and with previous graduate students, Daniel Corbett, Sasha Khrapitchev and Ed Crossland, all of whom are postdoctoral fellows at Oxford University. The photo shows Daniel, Sasha and Ed at l
My copy-edited book files were returned to OUP for the generation of proofs, back on 15 March. These days, authors like me do all the work that used to be carried out by typesetters, by writing our book in a source code language known as LaTeX, using a style file that automatically generates exactly the layout required by the publisher. All equations are beautifully set, diagrams placed correctly, and even the publishers logo appears in the right place. For the publisher to produce proofs simply involves taking the LaTeX sources files and eps diagram files and running them through a standard programme, a process requiring possibly ten seconds.
Why then had I received no proofs by July 5, the date of my departure from New Zealand, and one month after publication date? The answer lies in "widow and orphan lines". These are the lines of text that appear all alone o
n a new page and which, by a manual instruction in the source code, can be manipulated to join their companions. That is the final step, and it is one I delegated to OUP, since I believed that this simple step deserved some publisher input. In all, I estimated widow and orphan line fixing to be maybe one or two hours work. What I had not counted on were the exceptional qualities of the the production manager allocated to my book, a man whose name I must necessarily protect and one who has since mysteriously "left the employ of the Press". This fellow was, to my misfortune, exceptionally polite and pleasant in his communications, but kept informing me of unforeseen problems which were on the cusp of solution, and which would result in proofs being sent within the week. After about six weeks I became suspicious. Then began a flurry of enquiries, which eventually involved more senior staff plumbing the black hole into which my book had apparently fallen. The subsequent demise of my prod
uction manager appeared to be coincident on my saying "I am coming to the UK to sort this matter out".Of course you, dear reader, will realise that there were other reasons for my coming to the UK. But I hope you will forgive my crime in not making clear these other reasons to the fine people in Great Clarendon Street, the home of the world's greatest publishing house, the source of definitive dictionaries, Bibles, "The Principles of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Microscopy", and who knows, maybe one day "Translational Dynamics and Magnetic Resonance".
I have no clear idea why I might be smiling in the photograph. Perhaps it is a smile of relief, having met the new production manager, a highly competent and pleasant young woman called Emma, whose apologies knew no bounds, and who promised to have me my proofs within 24 hours. Indeed, I have now seen them. They are exceedingly pretty, and the book will be now published, 3 months late, in September.

Well, I would say your smile is more a smile of despair, to be honest...
ReplyDeleteI glad to hear that things are sorted out by now...
Make the most out of your time in UK!!
Frustrations with OUP not withstanding, it looks like you're have a ball in the UK. And with the Murdoch scandal centered there, I can imagine the animated conversations between you and Catherine. Best wishes to Miang, Catherine, Chris, the Persian Princess, and the beautiful boys!
ReplyDeleteI thought you were posting a picture of Ringo Starr when you had met him back in the day. Hahahaha. Jokes ;)
ReplyDelete