
Our first excursion with the grandchildren was to Wimpole Hall (Grandad and James on tractor and Grandad holding Thomas in the garden)
Then, on Sunday 10 July, it was the Duxford airshow. This we did in style, Chris having purchased a "Gold Pass" which gave us free access to a number of displays, as well as seats, and lunch, in a special viewing enclosure. Both Chris and I did our best to infect James with our admiration for the aircraft. I think we certainly made some headway with the Chance-Vought F4U Corsairs (with folded wings). I had the thrill of seeing Spitfires, Hurricanes and ME109's, all of which took to the air in a flying display. There is nothing like the sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin engine, or better still, six Rolls Royce Merlins all at once, to bring tears to the eye.

Duxford was also a chance to catch up with Chris's longtime friend, Kent Roach, and his Dad, Arthur, who as it turned out, attended Wanganui Technical College about 5 years before me.
The outing to Duxford was assisted by Miang who stayed at home to look after baby Thomas, his Mum Hiva being away in the US on a week-long attachment to NIH in Bethesda.
I have managed, after some considerable effort, to find a clinic in London to give intravenous vitamin C treatment and had my first infusion last Monday. I head down to London for another treatment tomorrow. Meanwhile, trips to London have given Miang and me the chance to catch up with Catherine. On Friday night we dined with her at the Anchor and Hope pub, then headed round the corner to th
e Old Vic Theatre to watch Kevin Spacey in action as Richard III. His performance was electrifying, and I have to say it was the most riveting Shakespeare I have seen in a long while. The audience spontaneously rose to its feet in wild applause at the end, something that London theatre-goers seldom do.While in London we joined Catherine at her Temple Chambers (Blackstone), met some of her barrister colleagues, and got this picture taken of the three of us outside the Royal Courts of Justice, just a short walk from Catherine's office.

No comments:
Post a Comment