Thursday, June 23, 2011

My favourite primary school teacher

Last year I wrote about Diana Beaglehole, who, when I had her as my Standard Four teacher at age 10, was the gorgeous Diana Flower. Today, Diana and I went for lunch together at "Milk and Honey", the university restaurant, and then we visited my lab, as the picture suggests. Over lunch we had a great opportunity to catch up on the subject of Wanganui characters and legends from primary school, as well as the state of the world, a matter on which Diana, an historian, converses fluently.

Most remarkably Diana gave me a photograph which I reproduce below. With her box Brownie she had captured a moment in the life of her 1958 Standard Four class. The little boy in the middle left, holding the pencil so carefully in his right hand, is me. On the far right, with her hair parted in the middle, is my first love, Dallas Caldwell. But the best part of this photo is not, I think, the children at work. It is the wonderful wall postings, a tribute to Diana's imaginative teaching. Above my head is the obligatory 1950s public health poster with the message "Guard your natural teeth-they are best!"

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous photo!!!! So much captured here. I love that the children are all doing different things; some reading, some writing, a couple of boys in the back having a conversation. Notice also that the girl in the foreground is permitted to use her left hand. I was 4 years after you and Mum had to have meetings with the teachers before they would let me use my dominant left hand. I had been forced to use my right hand for a few years and to this day can still write with both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very observant of you Mary-fascinating about the left had use-that would be Diana's influence-way ahead of her time.

    ReplyDelete