Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm sorry, I just have to share this

I want to use my time well. The New Zealander of the year status has given me a platform by which I can communicate effectively around the issue of New Zealand's future. At the moment I'm in a whirlwind of speaking engagements in which I deliver the 20 minute YouTube presentation, expanded as appropriate to the audience. The YouTube video has now had over 8000 views, mostly in New Zealand of course, and so I have already reached 0.2% of our population that way. But the really important point is the nature of the audiences. I am only accepting invitations to speak to opinion leaders. Yesterday it was, in three separate events, the senior management of IBM New Zealand, the top team at AJ Park Intellectual Property Lawyers and the Green Party caucus in Parliament. Today it was the Nelson regional economic development agency and the Chamber of Commerce, and next Monday it is the equivalent group in the Bay of Plenty.

I am getting great feedback. But most interesting to me was the outcome of the talk given to young "20-something" leaders identified by the Victoria International Leadership Programme. They volunteered their thoughts anonymously in writing to the Programme organisers who passed them on to me. I reproduce a representative selection below, simply to explain my motivation for continue doing this for a little while longer.


"I was unsure about booking in for this seminar and to be honest, wasn't particularly looking forward to it. However I have to say that it has been the most interesting and engaging seminar as of yet. I was concerned about Paul Callaghan's strong science focus, as obviously I have never taken a huge interest and am not studying it. Instead I found his life experience and passion for what he does to be inspiring. He made me think about where I am in my life at this point. Having spent pretty much all my life in New Zealand, I have only ever been influenced by the New Zealand culture, politics and outlook on life. After this seminar, I now look forward to my exchange for an entirely new reason. Now I look forward to meeting people and being a part of a culture that has a totally different outlook on education, way of life and what their country does for them. I'm not sure about where I will end up settling down in life. But Paul made me think more about bringing back other aspects of the world to New Zealand and inspiring others. "



"Not many lectures have ever made me truly think. In my academic career, I have never left a lecture and thought about it, at length, for a period of time. The lecture given by Sir Paul Callaghan was captivating, and I think one of the most surprising that I have listened to during my experience with the VILP. Once I had left the lecture theatre, I was quite dumbstruck. Even as I thanked Paul for his lecture, I could not think of anything intelligent or interesting to remark to him. Nothing. I walked home in silence, sat down with a cup of tea, and continued to think, until I began writing this reflection.

Initially I was quite surprised that his topic of conversation surpassed science, moving to philosophy, economics, politics and society. Despite the breadth of his lecture, he held the audience, who draw from all academic backgrounds, and it was possible to tell how well he had lectured through the quality of the questions given to him.

He titled the lecture: ‘Challenging common sense: New Zealand and its prospects’. This perfectly defined the topic of the lecture he gave, and made me think extremely carefully about my own views on the future of New Zealand, and its position in this competitive globalised world. His initial comments were quite pessimistic, discussing how tourism employment not only ‘dumbs-down’ the population, but reduces GDP through the reduction in revenue per employee compared to high-tech employment. But, he continued to discuss the country's position as one that is required to fill niches in the global markets – as 0.2% of the world’s population, it’s role is not to produce mass goods for the mass market, it is to fill niches left by other multinational firms. He discussed the need for entrepreneurship, innovation and education, and in my opinion, really inspired the room to consider his thoughts on the need for brilliant businessmen to excel the economy of New Zealand.

It is almost impossible for me to describe, on paper, how the lecture really made me feel. Optimistic. Pessimistic. Thoughtful. Understanding. These words go no-where near. The lecture have an incredible insight into Paul's work, both in the private and public sector, and I hope for the sake of the VILP he speaks again."



"This was one of the best seminars that I have ever attended by far, even beyond VILP. Sir Paul Callaghan is an exceptional man who offers a refreshing and invigorating insight into the future of New Zealand. Interestingly enough, “refreshing” is exactly the word Paul used to describe the ideal characteristic of an effective leader; one who is capable of challenging the status quo and one who can effect change.

Paul’s presentation encouraged me to reconsider many perceptions that New Zealanders hold about their own people and nation, most often without even questioning the evidence behind these “myths”. This made me realise that certain ideas about the state of our economy, our image and our future are not necessarily as they seem. This concept of refusing to accept things on their face value was another important philosophy on which Paul focused.

Rather than simply accepting that New Zealand is only good for dairying, that tourism is the future of New Zealand, or that we have no chance competing in the international market, Paul encouraged me to see the flaws in these arguments by examining the data and real evidence that clearly negates these perceptions.

Paul really stimulated the patriotism in my mind and heart that I really didn’t know was so strong. He made me see that the compact size of our nation really can work in our favour sometimes, but it does require a vision, and more importantly a passion. Paul reinforced the idea that there is a huge future for New Zealand, and recognised New Zealand’s ability to become a sustainable and thriving economy. He made me realise, however, that becoming more successful as a nation requires refreshing, passionate, articulate and inspiring leaders; people who are entrepreneurial and capable of taking a “contrarian perspective” to the status quo. These insights have enabled me to examine my own perception of what makes an effective leader, and to think about how I can incorporate these ideas into my own practice as a future leader.

Before this seminar, I was completely unaware of the fundamental importance of science in New Zealand, but having left this evening, I now have a much better understanding of the quality of New Zealand’s knowledge economy. I truly believe Sir Paul Callaghan’s conviction that New Zealand can and will become a thriving economy, despite our recent setbacks. All it will take is the commitment and risk-taking of our future leaders.

Sir Paul Callaghan is an incredibly interesting and passionate man who makes me proud to be a New Zealander. I feel extremely privileged to have been able to attend this seminar and I highly recommend it to anyone should they get the opportunity to hear him speak in the future."


5 comments:

  1. You should be very proud of yourself Paul Callaghan. I'm very proud of you. Hugs from sunny Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Paul. You are also one of the absolute top science presenters I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Everything--the fora you are addressing, the content, the captivating/compelling presentation style. You have it all, Paul. Please for the sake of NZ's future, flaunt it! Inspiring the next generation is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks dear friends! I can tell you, I'm having fun and also having to convince Miang that I'm not stressing myself. Doing this is better than sitting around wondering if I feel sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't apologise for sharing it---It's fantastic!! Something to be really proud of.

    ReplyDelete