Sunday, September 12, 2010

My sister Mary

This last week my younger sister Mary has come over from Melbourne to be with me while Miang is at a conference in Mexico. This is the second time in a month that she has given her time and care in this way. Mary, having been a senior nurse manager until recently, is now is part of a diabetes research team at the University of Melbourne, and she has had to organise her schedule to make these visits possible.

But what a great time it has been. To be with my sister, who normally I see only on busy family occasions, on a one-one-one basis living together at home is just marvellous. We can sit quietly, chat when we feel like it, share books, Skype Miang in Mexico each night, watch movies, share chores (though Mary is by far the better cook!), read the paper together, pop out for brunch (here is the two of us at Cafe Villa in Ngaio), do some shopping, go for a walk, entertain guests who drop in. And as a result I have learned so much about my sister's talents and personality that I never appreciated before. She of course has learned of my very bad habits around the house, but with her professional skills, managed to ensure that I drink the endless glasses of water, and remember to take my medications.

I should add that Mary has joined in my TaiChi class on two occasions and was completely at home with the group. And, she took me to Chemo IV this week at the hospital, which was a great opportunity for her to check out the New Zealand medical scene. The oncology nurses were delighted to meet her.

I am now half way through cycle 6. Next week is the start of my "Batman fights again" phase. My Avastin infusions have now finished. Whether I continue with more cycles of irinotecan/capecitabine (maximum 8 in total) depends on my CEA profile. As pointed out in a recent posting, I appear to have plateaued. This may be an indication that chemo is no longer effective. And then there is the "Sydney option" to be scheduled. More on that later.

PS: My heartfelt thanks to Mary's husband Tom who has gone without her company for yet another week!

1 comment:

  1. Dad was ofcourse more than happy to share his wifes love and care with you. He was fine without her, you and Miang needed her more :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete