Nearly a year ago, in early May 2010, Miang and I walked part of the skyline track on the Northern Walkway near Mount Kau Kau. I had just begun chemotherapy, and my oncologists had given me limited survival prospects. It seemed unlikely that I would last much beyond the end of the year, and Christmas 2010 seemed a remote and indistinct place, at best inhabited by a very sick Paul, with some visiting family in attendance.Today we climbed up KauKau, and again walked the Skyline in perfect weather, this time completing a 3 hour circuit via Crofton Downs. I felt monstrously well, and couldn't help but reflect on all that had passed over the 12 months since last I was up there. What a year it has been, and how much I am aware of the pivotal transitions represented by the triple chemo course I took from April to August, which significantly reduced my tumour burden, and then the extraordinary surgery in Sydney, which, whatever the longer term outcome, has undoubtedly given me a new lease of life, beyond the expectations of early 2010.
I had spent the morning with medical students, opening their conference and participating in a panel discussion on healthcare. The afternoon in the sunshine high up above the city, with views to the South Island, was bliss. Now I have no anxiety about the end of this year.
That is not to say that I believe I will survive 2011. Indeed I have neither knowledge of, nor care about, my lifespan. This last year's experience has brought me to a state of mind where I enjoy each day, dismiss, and if necessary, walk away from, that which detracts from well-lived moments, and I know that my life's duration, as for all of humanity, is as uncertain as it is irrelevant.

What a wonderful assay, Paul!
ReplyDeleteWe all reflect and marvel at the year past; your endurance, courage, determination, attitude and now wellness of body and mind, but most importantly mind. Your friends, colleagues and family have learned much about life's values on this incredible journey. Our thanks!
ReplyDelete